SoWa Profile - Soil and Water Research Infrastructure...
A full-time postdoctoral position at the SoWa Research Infrastructure at the Biology Centre CAS
Expert on ecosystem processes in soil and water responsible for ecosystem services provisioning
within the Integrated LIFE project for the Natura 2000 network in the Czech Republic
SoWa Research Infrastructure is looking for a highly motivated postdoc to participate in development and updating of knowledge base about key ecosystem processes responsible for ecosystem services provisioning.
- Searches and extracts literature data
- Maintains databases and analyses data on key soil parameters affecting the main soil ecosystem services, especially organic matter retention and water movement in soil
- Performs a meta-analysis of these data aiming at determination of the main driving factors
- Develops model predicting behaviour of key ecological function in landscape scale
- PhD or equivalent degree in Environmental Sciences or related field (alternatively PhD candidate can be considered)
- Proficiency in English
- Excellent analytical skills
- Independent scientific and research work including publication of results in peer-reviewed journals and presentation of results towards key stakeholders
- Experience with meta-analysis is an advantage
- Full – time job for 3 years (renewable) starting in January 2020
- Competitive salary
- Professional growth
- Employee Benefits (5 weeks paid holiday, Social Fund benefits, flexible working time)
- Friendly working environment
Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until suitable candidate is identified. After pre-selection, an interview will be organized, if necessary by Internet.
Please submit: a professional CV (no more than 2 pages), a statement of interest and the motivation for the position (max. 1 page), a list of publications, and the names and contact information of two professional references, in a single pdf file, via email with the subject: “Expert on ecosystem services” to firstname.lastname@example.org
Soil & Water Research Infrastructure, Biology Centre CAS
Na Sádkach 7, 370 05 České Budějovice
SoWa is a newly established part of the Biology Centre of the Czech Academy of Sciences, whose research predominantly addresses ecological topics. The research involves collaboration across disciplines, the use of diverse methodological approaches (molecular biology, genetics, taxonomy, field ecology, mathematical modelling, etc.), and a combination of analytical and holistic approaches to problem solving. Core facilities with shared equipment support all of the Centre’s scientific institutes. SoWa will primarily support research aimed at understanding the key physico-chemical and biological processes responsible for providing ecosystem services, nutrient cycling (particularly nitrogen and phosphorus) with emphasis on organic matter decomposition, water runoff, water purification etc. The main focus will be on ecosystems under heavy anthropogenic pressure.
About the location
České Budějovice is a medium-sized town ca. 150 km south of Prague with 100,000 inhabitants, a relaxed atmosphere, and a growing community of foreign scientists at the University and the Biology Centre. Three faculties and five research institutes dealing with aquatic and terrestrial biota are located on the same campus, allowing easy access to other researchers and resources. Both the town and the surrounding countryside provide numerous opportunities for research and leisure activities. Living costs are low by international standards. Courses of the Czech language are offered for international staff to reach a basic level of proficiency in everyday situations.
Find the latest news and trends, breaking discoveries and coming events
It was only relatively recently that tiny, single-celled thaumarchaea were discovered to exist and thrive in the pelagic ocean, where their...